View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: update: new orleans

pvn -- I am a New Orleans resident (a "hardcore nutjob" with a place Uptown [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). It is disheartening to see more cronyism and chaos coming from the political leaders.

At the same time, I am not quite as pessimistic as you. While the city's leadership has generally been inept, the "invisible hand" of Adam Smith seems to be at work. Maybe because I am lucky enough to be in Uptown, I am able to see progress being made and people coming back. I have seen other parts of the city and I realize how much people there have suffered and the obstacles they still have.

New Orleans had a lot of problems before Katrina, and many of them have resurfaced, adding to the problems that Katrina brought about. But there are jobs in New Orleans and many of the people who will stay have the resources to rebuild. So there is still hope, which only increases the need for vigilance about the actions of public officials and for a willingness to put the needs of the community ahead of individual preferences.

Regardless of what ends up happening, I wish the best for your family.