View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Cross Country Flight -- Ear Damage?

25 mg prednisone 8 hours before the flight and 25 mg again 1 hour before the flight.

You should be able to get 100 5 mg tablets for less than 3 bucks (so make sure that you know this when you fill your prescreption...don't pay some $10 or $20 copay).

Make sure to tell your doctor that you read this suggestion from a random guy an on internet poker forum. They love that.

By the way, I'm only suggesting this because I curbsided an ENT about it a few years ago (my ears hurt like a mofo when I fly). It worked very well. I've written it for one patient who claimed that it helped him as well.

I tried to do a literature search on it a few years ago, without being successful. Perhaps I'll try again.

There, I just did it. 120 mg pseudoephedrine 30 minutes prior to flight was effective in a randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial reported in the American Journal of Emergency Medicine in 1998. (You won't need a prescription for this in the US, unlike the prednisone.)

One other trial did not show effect for pseudoephedrine in children (Archives of Peds and Adolescent Medicine).