View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 06:28 AM

Default Re: The Linear Equality Fallacy

Cute - but incorrect

Used in the mathmatical context, regression refers to a return to (or toward) the mean; this is not what is happening here.

"Diminishing returns" might work here; a shift in the "product possibilities curve" (for all you economists) might work as well - though you'd have to really stretch the definition for the latter to apply.

Regression suggests that the long hours cause the win rate to fall back toward the mean - or toward that which was initially expected to occur.

If this were so, a LOSING player would be expected to improve as he got more and more tired.

1. This was not a case of me nitpicking; I learned the hard way what can happen when you apply less than precise definitions to terms in the statistical arena. (It goes without saying that your assertion that we lose our MoJo as we become more sleep deprived is, of course, correct).

2. If anyone out there knows Dan's interpretation of "regression" to be correct please respond so I may both appologize to him AND update my own definition for this term.

Be well,

Chris

"Not me, I didn't pick that out; I asked your . . . Oh, you LIKE it ? . . . That's different . . . Yep, it was me; the minute I saw it I thought of you". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]