View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: TPNK in limped pot

[ QUOTE ]

This is flawed thinking you want to maximize your EV in this situation, so winning lots of smaller pots can have a higher expectation of winning that one big pot. Also this guy limped 2 off the button, his hand probably sucks, so raise his ass. Also by raising the pot preflop the pot will now be bigger postflop so when you hit a big hand you have a better chance of being paid off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising against this guy with this hand is not that great. He's probably open limping a lot of SC, a lot of PP, a lot of Axs himself. I can make him lay down all that stuff postflop if he checks to me with second pair, but if I instead raise suddenly there's a pot to fight about and if I end up with A high I'm not getting paid off, whereas if he ends up beating my pair of aces suddenly I'm stuck playing a much bigger pot than I'd like. I can't imagine what the benefits to raising here are.

In any case, I decided that this is the perfect spot to raise the flop. This guy raises enough preflop to where I can rule out AK, probably AQ, especially given such a late open limp. With such a low went to showdown I don't think this guy is gonna play a big pot with A7 here so I have a ton of FE against his Ax hands and so he's much more likely to call with a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] draw than anything else.