View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: loose turn call. uncharacteristic of my weak tight self

You have 12 outs to the nuts (Well, I suppose the Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]/J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]/ 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] won't give you the pure nuts, but close enough anyway.) and 2 outs to a three that is probably good since villain didn't reraise preflop. Decent villain will almost surely reraise preflop with KK/QQ in this situation, and quite probably with TT. That leaves AJ and maybe TT to beat the trip 3's (and decent villains don't like calling raises with AJ). Allthough hitting trips and losing is bad, I think it is evened out by that implied odds shouldn't be too bad when he has two pair, since villain will be seriously confused as to what strong hand you could have on a river 3 after taking that passive line (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] might cross his mind, but you wouldn't play that either this passive I presume), so he will almost have to pay you off with two pair.

You're calling $15 to play a $49 pot. This means pot odds are just about there if you count the 3's as outs and assume villain doesn't have an ace. Implied odds probably aren't great, but if you can get something out of villain when you hit the river (at least have him block it), it looks like a call.

edited to change som KJ's to AJ.