View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: continuing 300 Bb thread

[ QUOTE ]
why would online lead you to have bigger downswings than live. it will have smaller ones as you are much more able to pick your spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray, i have a lot of respect for you, but that doesn't make this statement correct. Think of it this way. A player of your calibur with your game selectivity probably has amongst the biggest edges in a game that anyone would have expect for very low stakes games. Now have you ever logged two or three consecutive losing sessions? Or lost money over the course of a few thousand hands? I'm sure you have, it would be pretty much impossible for not to have this happen at one time or another.

Since many people play 300-600 hands per hour online, which is 10-20 times as many hands as you can play per hour live, it is possible to have a downswing that would take a B&M player several weeks in one night. Now if you meant that over the same # of hands, an online player should expierence less downswings because he can exercise better game slection, that there isn't much to argue about.

Also Ray, i don't know how much you play online, but like some others hand mentioned, playing so many hands per hour will decrease your winrate. It will also earn most players significantly more money in the ling run. But because of their decreased winrate, their swings will be greater even thought their net earn should be higher in the long haul. I have played online poker for a little over a year now, and have had excellent sucess by my standards. But i've also i swings on a daily basis that just aren't possible to have playing B&M, including a +250 BB day last year at 2-4 and a -120 BB at 30-60. I can tell you with absolute confidence that now matter how well i played, i was not going to less than 100BB that night, and i think i'm being generous saying i lost 20BB to bad play.

Basically, i just wanted to clarify what you meant with these points and point out some reasons why i disagree with that statement. That all said, it's probably the first thing i've ever read of yours that i haven't agreed with.