View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Baby flush with 200 BB stacks. (Results)

[ QUOTE ]

Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Preflop:
One fold. UTG+1 limps. MP1 limps. Villain raises to 4 BB. Three folds. Hero calls 4 BB. The blinds fold. UTG+1 calls 3 BB. MP1 calls 3 BB.

Flop (4 players, 17.5 BB): 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Two checks. Villain bets 5 BB. Hero calls. UTG+1 folds. MP1 calls.

Turn (3 players, 32.5 BB): Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Three checks.

River (3 players, 32.5 BB): J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
MP1 checks. Villain bets 4 BB. Hero...?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero raises to 26 BB. MP1 folds. Villain calls 22 BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], a straight, and Hero's flush wins the 84.5 BB pot, minus rake.

In retrospect, I think my raise was much too small, and cost the expected profit from many hands. I think it was likely that Villain had a set or a straight and would pay off a raise to 40 BB or more. There aren't many one-pair hands on the river that would have played so weakly on the flop and turn, and maybe he is frustrated enough to call a larger raise with one of those.

I think Villain misplayed on the river. The stacks are deep, and Villain has the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] which blocks the nuts. It's not common for it to be right to bluff with a strong made hand, but I think it is right here. Villain should have made a big reraise, and I might have folded. Even if you assume (incorrectly, from the results) that I'll be bluffed out or beat whenever Villain has the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I believe it is right to raise a larger amount than 22 BB, as it just isn't so likely that he has the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I believe Villain recognized the mistake of not reraising with the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], as he later semi-bluffed off his 175 BB stack at the other table with TPTK+nut flush draw against my set when the turn brought a third flush card. I had an easy call only because I had a big draw to a full house; I might have folded two pair or a baby flush.