View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Big pot with TPTK

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the pot to get too big with only one pair either. To keep the pot smaller I would consider 1/2 pot bets to protect your hand on the flop and turn. Closer to 1 pot bets increase the pot exponentially. The 1/2 pot is denying the flush draw or straight draw pot odds. Your opponent has implied odds too, but I don't think you are giving anything away by charging him 1/2 the pot. If he has more outs than 8 or 9 he is going to call most bets anyhow or raise.

This also has some good side effects outside of primary draws. You don't give too many chips away when you are already beaten, and you allow a few weaker hands to call a 1/2 pot bet rather than say a 4/5 pot bet on the flop. A 1/2 pot bet looks more like a continuation bet.

You will have to change it up and bet the pot once in awhile on bluffs or mediocre hands since you want him to call your 1 pot bets when you have a monster too.

Any thoughts on the 1/2 pot bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 pot bets seem pretty good, odds aren't there for the draws and it controls the pot size much better, the only problem I see with it is that if I'm playing against myself here, me (with the flush draw) will make me (with tptk) lay down the best hand very often with a semi-bluff.