View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Don\'t everyone gasp at once

OK, I normally don't like to rant on message boards, but I just can't help myself this time.

What we are witnessing is the dumbing down of poker. It's because many of the people playing poker these days are visor-wearing mental midgets who do not understand the complexities of games other than NL Hold EM. A game like Omaha, which requires more play and odds calculations after the flop, and 7-card, which requires far more concentration than hold em, simply doesn't work for most players because they can't push all of their chips in and hope for a fold when their brain fails them.
During World Series Main Event on ESPN the other night, but Howard LeDerer was commenting to a spectator that every time he came into a pot all the amateurs were putting him to the test for all his chips, many times with horrible hands. One guy even got on the phone after bluffing Lederer out of a pot to brag to his friend. Just a few hands later he lost an all-in bet to Lederer with a pair a fives to Howard's pocket aces after he stupidly called a large raise from the big blind with a K-5.
I realize no-limit Hold 'Em is maybe one of the purest forms of poker, but it is very forgiving to horrible players because you can double your chips with one suck-out.