View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: AK UTG (super Tuesday)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok yeah, i wasn't 100% sure what you meant, I couldn't find what you were quoting exactly. I'm not sure what you mean by ratios tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ratios are the stack sizes in relation to the bet size. In this case, hero had 8730 and raised to 1800, and villain had 11230. I don't think the villain calling 1800 is a good idea given those stack sizes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stack sizes aren't really that important here. I'm advocating playing this hand with the intention of never folding. I plan on getting all my chips in at some point. The difference is that I believe b/c my hand is such a monster, I'm willing to let him hit the flop a little and/or look at the flop and decide he's safe. Ideally I'm thinking of a situation where villian has JJ and I have QQ and the flop comes 8T3r or something. That way villian pushes and I happily call. This is a little bit more risky of a strategy, but I think in the long run you'll win more chips. It's a personal preferance issue.

[ QUOTE ]
I would have just called with 9s (or maybe folded, its close)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Calling sucks. Too high a price to call and try to hit a set, which means you only play if you think you have the best hand now. If you have the best, (but vulnerable hand in poor position), then calling doesn't make sense given the dead money in the pot in relation to the amount left to be bet. You need to play it committally or not play at all on those ratios.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree. I'll usually fold 9s here on second thought. I guess if I had a player read I might try to play post flop, but yeah my default is to fold 9s and push 10s.

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing back with a premium hand is just too likely to get a fold,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't it reasonable to assume an UTG raise may be a strong enough hand to call an allin?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're assuming waaaay too much intelligence for the avg player. We know to make that move, but the avg player doesn't. The avg player (or indeed, some people here, focault posted a hand where he raised KQ UTG) will raise more hands there than you might think. Also, a lot of players will be smart enough to fold correctly to an all in with KQ. I know that personally I would raise AQs UTG, but I wouldn't call a push there. My point is that I want villian to hit his Q on a Q58 flop when I have KK.

and I'd rather slow down and try to make sure I can get him to commit a large part of his stack