View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 12:07 AM

Default Re: The old coin-flip debate

Yeah, we are talking about calling here only. 99 or TT is definitely a raise and probably a push if the blinds are big enough. these hands are often even re-raise pushes if you think an opponent might still be re-stolen from.

It is the fact that you are guaranteed a showdown that makes a all-in call so undesirable, even if you think you might be ahead.

As stated by many, folding 99-TT to all pushes might be too timid a play. There are times for calling, and many will always call (successful players).

Just one example I can think of where I think it is bad might be:

4-handed with all stacks at ~2000.
blinds are still only 100/200

you are in the BB and the SB (who has slightly more) pushes against you.

For me, I definitley fold 88 or smaller and unless it is a weak raiser who I know has been gunning for my blinds, I probably fold even 99 and TT.

basically what it comes down to is the thought that I am about 75% (more actually) to make the money when I find myself equal stacked in the final 4. If I suspect I will be facing two overcards, why would I want to take 50% odds on my survival here.

Yes, doubling up here increases the chance of a win, but that is what the calculation PM is speaking of addresses. I attempt to show that the $EV of folding is still greater than calling. As yet, no math gurus have commented (that I know of).

Regards
Brad S