View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: The old coin-flip debate

For me, slighltly ahead usually means small to medium pocket pairs. These hands will really only be behind against a bigger pair and as you have stated, you can't always be scared of that.

I have softened somewhat on hands like TT and JJ because that I think so many opponents will push with Ax on the button or even K7+. The possible addition of a small card makes hands like TT (and maybe even 99) better than perhaps I have first suggested.

88 or smaller pairs are trouble though and I think still are better folded in the situations we are discussing. I'm actually still folding 99-TT to big raises on the bubble and I like my bubble stats of late. I'm sure this is relative to opposition and may be different at higher or lower limits. I am playing mostly Party 30+3 these days with a few 50+5 thrown in to the mix. If I think a player begins repeatedly going after my blinds, I will lessen these requirements. If he lets me keep my blind a lot of the time, I'll be happy to give him the occasional one even if I do have 99.

Slightly ahead may also mean hands like AT or smaller aces if you think an opponent will push with any two cards over 9 or even with Kx. I'd never call an all in raise from a big (equal) stack with even AJ in these situations unless I knew a player was continuously gunning for my blinds and I needed to make a stand. Most times, if I can leave myself with 3-4 BB after a loss, I will call with more. Another problem with medium aces is that so often you will be dominated if you guess wrong.

As for opponents fearing calls, the problem is that if you survive, that opponent is eliminated or crippled and his fear is no longer very important. I just don't give credit to players for actually paying attention to what happens to other people. I definitely think players pay attention when they are in a hand, but not much otherwise. If I want fear or need to slow a guy down, I think re-raises all-in are still ideal. That's pretty obvious I guess.

Regards
Brad S