Default Re: Maximizing value/Minimizing loss - 200 NL - $400 stacks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First of all
your raise preflop UTG makes no sense. Not for shania, not for any reason. Fold.

As for the turn: I call here and check the river. This gives him another opportunity for a desparation bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how LAGs do it....dirty! If you were villian, would you see 85s coming here from a PFR? Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's how bad LAGs do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been outed!

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your reasoning for this raise? What do you mean you're "raising for value?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised you asked, since it's so obviously awful (in your view).

Let's assume folding is EV=0. Let's also assume that coming in for a raise vs. limping is close in terms of +-EV. I always come in for a raise if I'm going to open the pot so I'm not going to consider the EV of calling

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok.

[ QUOTE ]

So the question is, over all trillion+ possible starting hands, flops, turns, rivers, betting actions, etc etc, can I squeeze out a dime of profit by raising this hand in early position?

If it turns out I cannot (maybe is unprofitable by a dollar), can I make up for it with the action I get on my other hands from observant opponents (whether they see that I raised an 85 UTG or whether they simply see I'm raising more hands than would seem possible).

Obviously it is nearly impossible to answer these questions. To the first question as to whether it is profitable in a vacuum, I would suspect it's really really close. It's very dependent on the skill of your players and whether they can properly adjust to this sort of play

[/ QUOTE ]

This analysis really offers nothing when you look at it closely. You sorta just come to arbitrary conclusions w/o any evidence.

[ QUOTE ]

This play certainly increases my variance. However it gives me the ability to splash around a little more than I would otherwise, and I think it can't hurt the action I get on my better hands.

Just the thoughts of a bad LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but pick better hands to accomplish this.

First of all, I didn't mean to indicate that you are a bad LAG (seemingly that's how you interpreted it).

You can't raise for value with 85s UTG. That doesn't make any sense.

I raise lotsa hands, but the most important part is to have decent position and have a hand where you can flop something hidden (ie-gapper connectors). Your hand holds no strength whatsoever--you're trying to flop a weak two pair? a low flush draw? trips with a weak kicker that will put you in a very difficult decision given your image? i mean it's imporant to have a somewhat wide range of hands UTG, UTG+1, but you can choose better hands to accomplish this. Obviously you'll have the opportunity to bluff at every flop you miss (and you will miss pretty much every one), but I contend that this will cost you more money in the LR. You're going to get into really tough spots and need to bluff a lot more than is necessary to kill the NL200 games.