View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: A stupid river fold in 3/6

I like betting the turn because:

-It disguises your hand.
-You have so many outs that in fact you don't even need to worry much about being raised, particularly if it stays three-handed.
-If you check a bet is very likely to go in anyway and you may be able to take the pot down with a bet.

Hmm...I think I'm more apt to check it, but betting is a good move too. Out of curiosity, when the board isn't paired, when in your opinion should you bet the turn for value? Surely in a tight game if you think you can win the pot right there. Perhaps too tight, but I will only consider it when I have a nut flush draw or top pair with a good flush draw; in late position I'll bet on the flop to try to get a free card on the turn. (It ended up working out that way in the hand but being I was in early position as one poster pointed out you don't really bet for a free card there).

Also, a raise wouldn't have capped it - Canterbury Park allows 4 raises.

Thanks for the feedback (look forward to more). I think this was an ugly decision and illustrates why you need to make river calls for even two bets unless you are very very certain you are beat.

-Paul