View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 11:55 PM

Default The one thing that I can\'t control

In the past few months, I have been exploring the emotional side of poker. What I have found has been quite enlightening. It has been well documented on this forum, that I have had several horrible runs in my career despite showing a decent amount of profit. Last month was the first month that I posted losing results. Most of my losses were due to bad game selection for the bankroll that I had (nlhe 6 max ). When I returned to sngs to build back what I had lost, I went into a horrible run of cards......or so I thought. After reviewing my play, there was indeed some bad variance early in the downswing, but most of it was due to bad play. I have come to realize that most major downswings in poker are usually initiated by a few bad cards, the rest tends to be tilt (tilt takes on many forms, but we will save that for another essay.)

I have since corrected my play, and have turned things around. But, there are days in which I find myself playing my B, C and even D game. While I have finally figured out how to identify how I'm playing, I haven't figured if there is some sort of way that I can control how I'm playing. Furthermore, if there isn't any way to play my A game everyday, is there a way to be on top of my game more days than others?.