View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Re: de asini umbra disceptare

[ QUOTE ]
You make it sound like there is no objective truth. You are advocating that mere obedience to a higher authority will always lead one to the objective truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously since you and I differ on what that objective truth is in some cases the question is: how do we know what is correct? An authentic interpeter is required. That would be the Church, through its magisterial teaching authority. If not, then you are left with the protestant basis of individual interpretation, which is what you have basically adopted though you do not wish to call it that.

[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, did you agree with the invasion of Iraq even though pope John Paul II demanded that it should not be done?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with what you have said in the past that all opinions, even papal ones, are not by any means de fide. Thus JPII's moral judgement in that case is not binding on all catholics. And no I don't agree with it.

Similarly, every single statement in the CCC is not of the same level of certainty. But you and those in SSPX are straining to find minor points of doctrine, "details", in order to justify your liturgical and canonical disobedience and refusal of communion with Rome.

So why doesn't the SSPX just take the action logically consistent with its views. That is, electing its own pontiff and declaring that the rest of the church, with its 3000+ bishops and 100K+ priests, has basically broken off from it the true church with its 4 bishops and 50 priests?