Thread: 22 in the BB
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: 22 in the BB

I favor three-betting preflop here for several reasons. You have position, it puts the pressure of hitting the flop on your opponent, and given the vulnerability of your hand (assuming you don't flop a set) you would like your opponent to fold on the flop or turn. If you just call preflop, you know he will bet the flop, and if he is like many players, will also call if you raise to protect your hand (which you hope is still best). This is not necessarily bad for you, but it means it will be tough to protect your hand on the flop.

Just calling preflop and on the flop does set up the possibility of getting him to fold to a turn raise (looks like you were trapping him after hitting a favorable flop) and gets more money in the pot in case he is drawing and misses, but it also gives your opponent a chance to hit one of his (at least) 6 outs, or pick up a draw that adds even more outs for him on the river.

One more advantage to three-betting preflop: as your hand is probably a favorite heads up, you are getting immediate value due to your pot-equity edge. And even if you are not a favorite preflop--e.g., your opponent has a higher pocket pair--you may have given yourself some "psudo-outs". For example, if you opponent has a middling pair like pocket 5s, your reraise preflop may get him to fold if the flop is scary (e.g., AKT).

Finally, three-betting the flop does more to define your opponent's hand. If he continues to come strong in the face of your aggression, there is an increased likelihood you are beat and can more safely fold early in the hand.

On the other hand, by getting an extra two bets in preflop you are giving your opponent better odds to chase you with his overcards if he misses the flop. But I don't think this outweighs the other considerations. What do you think?

OK, sorry for the long post--it's my first one. Aloha!