View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Great Knockout-- Did I have Any Choice?

well again not to beat a dead horse but I'm not at all convinced that the initial bet was a mistake.

I agree that with AK suited and more chips, BB should have pushed me.

But he didnt-- now the short stack call must be a pair or he's doing something insane like going all in on AQ or AJ suited. My call is a coin flip and with more than half of his bet already committed, I ain't folding. But why push? I've gone back and forth on this one. By not pushing I do preserve my ability to play in the tournament beyond this hand if the a or k dont hit in nearly every likely situation save the one that actually happened. By pushing I may be able to back down a bigger stack if he's playing something less than AK. But the all-in bet itself should have done that, if it was even possible given his stack size. What more good am i doing besides increasing the odds I get knocked out??

The flip is that if my read on big stack was correct, and he was also playing an ace-- very likely AK-- then the one situation that did arise-- two flush scare cards-- should have caused me to consider backing away. But that pot committed and with him needing a draw on the turn and river?

So again the hand was pretty much inevitable any way you slice it. If I made a mistake it was the initial bet-- not poushing-- though obviously in this case it wouldn't have changed anything.