View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: PC-ness has replaced logic & reasoning.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so the statement blacks tend to live in a culture that makes them better runners true?

If so it's still sterotypical and racist to many people. Now I understand that many people misuse these facts but that doesn't mean the statement here is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an issue we tackled back in my cultural psychology classes. Usually the tendency for a certain group to perform better in a certain area is due to a greater prevalence of practice of that activity by members of that community. Blacks and athletics was a major issue that we covered. (I apologize for not providing a source, I simply have neither the time or interest)

There are occasions where slight genetic differences {and the word "slight" must be emphasized; we are all of the same species) can result in physical results that may alter performance...for example, blacks typically have a slightly higher bone density than whites, which may make them slightly less apt to be champion swimmers...however, the cultural influences are much more conducive to the prevalence of white competitive swimmers.

We're talking about averages and small percentages here; I don't think it's rascist, and if it is, I don't care. There's no genetic obstacle preventing a black person from winning the Nobel prize in physics, or preventing a white person from winning a slam dunk contest.

However, claiming that blacks developed their athletic prowess from the jungle is unfounded. There's no reason to think that basketball shooting is useful to survival in the African wilderness; it's more likely that the kinds of evolved adaptive traits would include different kinds of metabolic enzymes that are specific to the available foods there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I used running because that was topic up at discussion but really it all boils down to is that: I don't believe myself to be racist but I have a hard time not grouping people together... And I've found that sterotypes generally tend to be true I'll bet that any random black man like watermelon more then your average person for instants. An Asian is more likely to be a good study... etc. Sure I've met peole who don't fit the criteria for whatever sterotype they tend to have but it's still my default. Maybe I'm suffering from from looking too hard for something (and thus always finding it) but I don't think so and if I ever needed someone to run a message 2 miles out in a battle field because comms are down and I had to chose between 1 white man and 1 black man of equal built, I'm going with the black guy.