View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Girlfriend\'s advice... I think it is good

Due to some circumstances, for the next few months, my poker income is important. Maybe not do or die... but right on the line.

Anyway, the last two weeks or so, I have been on one of those great hot streaks. It is especially refreshing, because the last couple months, have been full of downs swings and prolonged breakeven streaks.

I was talking to my GF last night about when to move up to 10/20 from 5/10 full. She plays on line poker off and on at various micr-limits, maybe 5,000 hands a month or so. Also she has watched my development over the last year and a half or so.

So I told her my plan and when I thought I would move up. She said something like "You know what... you are not ready yet.". She then went on and explained, she meant not ready for the $$$ swings. As soon as she said that I realised she was probably right.

Just the last couple months I have gotten to the point where an 80-100BB swing does not really bother me, except as far as paying more attention to reviewing hands. However being honest a $1,600 -$2,000 swing would probably shake me a bit.

I kind of think this is an observation, that probably only a "significant other", could really throw out there. So anyway... I am pretty happy that I have someone close to me who can be totally objective about the sometimes complex emotional issues associated with poker.