View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: O Doyle\'s Army - Offer from a start up site

[ QUOTE ]
Ideally, if this site could support all of our play from day one would be great, but I don't know if that could be the case, given their original position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think that you are being put into a spot that you do not need to be in (i.e. stuck picking 20 people). Everyone can win (including the site owners) from a properly structured agreement.

Anything of value (rakeback, WPT/WSOP trips, merchandise, freerolls into cash tournaments, etc.) that will be awarded to members of "the Group" will be paid for by US, the individual player, through a percentage of the rake we pay as individuals.

The owner of any poker site that considers "our" offer needs to determine what percent of the rake they need to survive (to cover costs and profit) and what percent of the rake they would be willing to give up (to fund perks) to members of "the group." Realize, of course, that if "the group" is given credit for 50% of rake paid, not everyone who plays on the site will have the same perks. The full rake will be collected for other players (unless they are working off some bonus).

"The group" would actually comprise a small percentage of total players over the long run, but may provide a significant number of players during the site's infantcy, allowing for growth by keeping games going.

Cash flow is the lifeblood of any business. I can understand the reluctantcy of a site owner to commit large sums of cash for WSOP entries a year from now when they don't even know if their site will last that long.

I still think that a middle ground can be reached that will be beneficial to all parties.

These numbers are for illustration only, but you'll get the point:

Example: WSOP buy in and trip package. Value = $13,000

Assumptions: Average rake is $1 per pot in a 10 full ring game (depends on the limit played).

My portion of rake = $.10. 50% of which is credited to my special "group perk" account.

10 months away from next WSOP.

$13,000/(.10 X 50%) = 260,000 hands

260,000 / 10 months = 26,000 hands per month.

Structure of the deal: Play an average 26,000 hands per month for the next 10 months and get a free trip to the WSOP.

You get a $13,000 "prize package." The site gets $13,000 in rake up and above the prize package. Win/Win. Of course, the site owners need to determine if $1,300 a month in revenue (up and above the prize packages) per person in our group is worth their while.

If my numbers are way off, they can substitute their own. Maybe the number is 50,000 hands, maybe it is 10,000 hands. The site owners can make that call.

If the number of hands are too high. No one will want to play there. It won't make sense. But I think that using a time horizon of 10 month makes this a very viable option and will result in a large number of players putting in time at the new site.

My 2 cents.