View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: i m a pathetic gambling addict- self motivation purpose

Honestly, when people ask me about poker, if they should play, etc, I usually try to discourage them. Poker is a great money maker for some people. These are the exceptions. For many, it's a harmless hobby where they win a bit or lose a bit. For some, esp. those already predisposed to be action junkies, it can be pure death. I've seen it. I've walked the line myself at times. You need EXTREME control to play well and win significant money. You are clearly playing with money you can't afford to lose. Whether or not you have technical knowledge, I won't say. That's because it means LESS THAN NOTHING if you can't control yourself at the table AND OFF. The end result for you is inevitable; going broke, hurting relationships with friends and family, productivity issues, etc.

If I were you, I'd stop. So far, you've gotten out cheap. I came to a similar crossroads years ago where I knew I had to quit or put everything I had into beating this game. And I do mean everything. I chose the latter, and for me, it worked out very well. But there was a gray time where it easily could have gone south HARD. I literally put 100% of my energy into this game and played hard. Many people who attempt to do this will go flat broke. And no one will care. That's the reality. So you need to weigh many factors and do what's best for your life.

If you choose to play big time, people like me (and people better than me) will be there waiting to see if you lose control so we can beat you to the point you sleep on the street. Weigh your options carefully.

Jeff