View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: More on the S-Curve Hypothesis and the ICM

[ QUOTE ]
My original S-curve argument assumed that big stacks have an advantage over small stacks because they can "bully" the short stack. While this may still be empirically true in actual play, I now believe that the game-theorically correct play for the small stack does NOT depend on the presence of extra chips for the big stack. The small stack plays strictly based on pot-odds, the size of the blinds, and the maximum amount that can be bet--i.e. his own stack size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you expand more on what you mean exactly here? An example perhaps? Because I'd disagree with what I think you're saying, but it feels like I might be misunderstanding you the way it's worded. By the way, are you talking about shortstacks compared to the blinds or compared to other stacks?

Also I think the medium stacks (in terms of the field) are the ones to be bullied more so than the short ones. There tends not to be enough in the pot in terms of blinds/antes to make up for the equity they'd lose by putting their own stack at risk in there in marginal situations.