View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Use of bet / fold - non-SSHE-like?

Hey all,

I was successful at $0.50/$1 full, and started $0.50/$1 6-max about 1500 hands ago, about break even. For full ring, I'm following SSHE pretty strictly, and being very aggressive on the flop (using the philosophy that if it's good enough to call a bet, I should probably bet out). Thus I am betting out a lot on middle pair, flush draws, and OE straight draws in moderate-sized+ pots.

In moving to 6-max, clearly the starting hand values change, and there is some stealing the blinds and some defending the blinds. There is some more stealing of smaller pots that no one is showing interest in. But, it's still the same game - still small stakes hold 'em.

In looking at people's hand posts and discussions and in a recent session review, I see that a lot of people use bet-fold on the flop, turn, or river. (Bet out, and fold to a raise.) I don't know if I've *ever* done that! It goes in the face of the SSHE philosophy that you shouldn't bet (or call) and fold in the same betting round, as people who are noticing may start to take shots at you. Plus I think it can be wrong because of some of the strange things people show down. Some people are going from being the aggressor in a hand to folding with one player's raise!

How important is bet-fold? What level does it become correct to use it? (For example, at $10/$20 is it an essential tool? If so, can I wait until I higher level before using it?)

Thanks,

-Tom