View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Odds of Winning a WSOP Satellite These Days

Atlantis is in the Bahamas. Not aruba.

With only $1k I would say your chances of winning a WSOP seat isn't THAT great.

The $160 double-shootouts are my preferred way of doing it. There are some really bad players in the 81-players fields...but some decent ones too.

I got lucky and qualified on my 6th attempt....when I was heads-up I spiked a set on the river when I was all-in with 33 against a VERY good player's 88. And off to the WSOP I went.

Stars will probably start their WSOP satellites in Jan or Feb.

Right now they are running satellites for the Bahamas event in January (which about every 2+2'er in the MTT forum and their brother is trying to win it seems) as well as the EPT events (Dublin, Ireland on Oct 29 would be QUITE nice to win a seat to...since that happens to be my birthday).

The satellite system for these events is virtually the same as they are for the WSOP satellites (different turbo-satellites, etc etc).

Additionally, if you win a seat to a 'main' satellite you can just unregister from that event and they give you W$.
It's like regular cash except that you can only spend it on the 'special' tourney-satellites on Stars.
the good thing is that the W$ never expire.

So...if you're serious about building up your W$ and trying to win a seat eventually to the WSOP...then you can actually start playing the smaller satellites RIGHT NOW. And you can just keep your W$ all the way up until they start running the big-field WSOP events in Feb.

Of course...if you enter a 'main' satellite and happen to win a seat to the Bahamas in January or Monte Carlo in march then you are stuck with that seat.
I'm just talking about the smaller satellites like the $5-rebuys with large fields where 10 or 20 players or so win seats to bigger events like the $650 weekend qualifier (which you would be more interested in unregistering from).

ALSO - Stars does NOT have an initial-deposit bonus.
but they are CURRENTLY running a reload bonus (that is good for new players). So if you sign-up now and deposit $600 then you will get $150 in bonus-dollars that you can clear.
And at Stars....just playing the tourneys is good for clearing the bonus (you don't have to play the ring-games).
so you really should deposit now just to get the bonus (and you can cash-out after 48-hours if you want to get the money back).