Thread: Cris et al.
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 12:01 AM

Default Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa

Sorry All,

Some of this will be taken as a whine by some, and I apologize in advance. It's a whine with a purpose.

I've had a really BAD week, and I let it color my responses here. At this point, I am feeling so beaten up (at the tables) that I should probably take a week or two off. I took a day off, and came back today, and I thought I played pretty well. I went a combined 1:6 though, and here were four of my five losing hands:

* The 3:1 beat in the "Bad Play or Bad Beat" post, which I guess most people have said I played correctly.

* AQ all-in vs. what I correctly read as a blind steal. Stealer had 54s. Flop was 4-5-5. This was probably an over-aggressive misplay, although I was a 2:1 favorite when the money went in.

* AJ in the BB, and I call a min-raise from MP. Flop is K-Q-6. I check, raiser checks. Turn is T, giving me the Broadway straight. I push, raiser calls with 66. River: 6. I think I played this one correctly -- I was a 3:1 favorite when the money went in -- but if anyone thinks otherwise, please say so.

* 44 in LP, and I limp behind another limper. CO min-raises, SB and BB call, and I call. Flop is 4-8-K. EP bets 120, I smooth-call, and CO raises to 240. SB, BB, and EP fold. I push. CO calls and turns up AA. Turn: K. River: K. Again, I think I played this one correctly -- I was a 10:1 favorite when the money went in -- but I'm open to being told otherwise.

The other two were the terribly misplayed JJ hand that I described in a previous post, and a 4th place finish when my 77 lost to A9o (and I'm fine with that).

I'm not saying I'm the unluckiest player alive. I'm not. I do make misplays, especially when I get frustrated. I know (intellectually) that these are just the routine kinds of swings that are inherent in tournament poker. But wow, it can really get emotionally brutal when it's happening....

Anyway, it has been unbelievably frustrating, and I let that frustration leak out here, in my responses to other people's well-intentioned comments, and I apologize.

Cris