View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Analysis Project

I think there's a lot to be gained from an analysis of this type. I don't like the suggestion to switch to a ring game, that doesn't do you much good if your weakness is in short tables or on the bubble. Tourneys are very different from ring games.
I don't have any good suggestions for how to separate your games by level other than querying, but I would imagine that most players have weaknesses at some level in a SnG tourney. Clearly, the way you play has to change based on the size of the blinds, the number of players and the size of your stack relative to the blinds. To the extent that those average out at a given level, an analysis of your play on average could detect where you need to look to find a major weakness in your game. It won't tell you the weakness, but it will give you an idea of when it occurs. Once you've found a level where you seem to struggle relative to your skill level, then I would suggest using poker tracker to analyze hands at those levels.

I'm not great with Pokertracker, but it seems to me that if you wanted to analyze your play once the tables got smaller, you could filter only hands where you played and there were x or fewer players, then you could sort by various items of interest, perhaps your stack size, maybe sort all hands where you played by $$ won or lost and analyze your big winners or losers.

Alternatively, you could do the same type of filters and analyze your wins/losses by hand type and see if there is any type of hand that you are playing at a loss on average at different levels, or very profitable hands that you might not be playing often enough.

Macro analysis isn't going to fix any weaknesses ,but I'm a big fan of using it as a starting point.