View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Analysis Project

I think the question is a deeper one for those of us who play at low levels. That is, "How can I best analyze my play?"

Proper self-analysis is critical for any serious game. It's the key to higher levels. I had this problem in my chess game for a long time. I reached a certain level of competence, but at some point, to improve, you have to be able to sit down and analyze your games and those of mster players. But, understanding the criteria by which to do this requires some serious effort, thinking, reading, and playing against better players. Only after blood, sweat, and tears, do you have the skill to properly analyze your game and hope to understand the games of those playing way above your head.

The same is true with poker, I think. I'm going through that now...how do I analyze my play, how do I sift out the erroneous thinking when I can't recognize the errors to begin with? It's especially difficult in poker due to the short-term results factor. I had the same thought as the OP once...whip up a perl script to correlate my stack sizes at each level with finishes and all sorts of stuff. I'm inclined to agree with Lacky though.