View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Death Penalty Article

My position is quite different from yours. If convicted of a capital crime there should be one mandatory appeal within a 3 year period then the death penalty should be imposed immediately if the appeal is unsuccessful. The appeal will only allow the immediate release of the prisoner or the aforementioned and previously decreed death penalty.

The loss of a few innoncent lives is like collateral damage in war, regrettable but necessary. Whether or not this will reduce the total number of crimes with a death penalty attached is not a factor. The primary benefit is that less money will be spent by our government on useless appeals, food, housing and medical care. This will be a greater benefit to our society than the few innocnet people missing from our economy.

In short the value of human life is rated extremely too high. This naturally leads to the concept that if the former is true why should one be executed simply for causing anothers death. I know not how to reconcile the above conundrum but present it only so it was aparrent that I did not overlook the irony.

In closing this method would have the added benefit of preventing those averse to being executed from engaging in activities which might put them in such a position as to become a prime suspect in a capital crime. Now a criminal who also loves to gamble might see a pretty good deal having a chance to be released after only three years for whatever type of heinious crime that suits their fancy. These factors may very well tend to nearly cancel each other out but it would certainly prevent the average criminal from escalating his activities to capital crime.