View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Party Poker Pre-Flop Raising Standards

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about this the other day and just wanted to get some feedback from posters here. Do you think that the average Party Poker low-limit player takes into consideration their position when they raise pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely. That is not to say that they all view position in the same way or the way you and I do.

There are at least three prominent theories for raising small/medium pocket pairs:

1. First in - these players raise small pocket pairs from any seat provided that no one has limped in yet. I guess they hope to steal or play heads up.

2. Isolation - these players seek to isolate a single limper or even open-raiser by raising behind him.

3. Real estate - these players raise clouds of limpers from LP.

As you can see, positional ideas are part of each theory.

Real estate raises in general are practiced by many players with all sorts of drawing hands. Another group likes to raise volume hands from the blinds because (I guess) they won't force people out.

Many players practice steal raises from LP.

And yes, many players have a fixed list of premium hands that they always raise regardless of position. Although some of these players believed the books that told them never to raise their BB option without AA/KK.

Overall, I'd say most of them are thinking about position when they raise. It's just that they are often not thinking what we are thinking.