View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Stud vs Hold Em (low content)

[ QUOTE ]
Really? I've beaten HE up to 20/40 online for a couple of years now. About a month ago, I just had to take a break from HE, so I've been playing Stud only. I'm just amazed at how much easier hand reading seems in to be in stud. In HE, often times a totally innocuous card comes off, and all of a sudden someone is jamming. In stud, I feel like I always know where I'm at, and that allows me to bet/raise on the end for value much more often than in HE.

Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

The players at this level usually always have decent hands or some fairly large draw that missed by 7th. Even with hand reading being more difficult in HE you can usually value bet against people more often since they go to the river lighter. It's tough to get a lot of action without being crushed in tight structured stud games. In holdem there is always some guy who will over defend his blind, call down with middle pair or too weak a kicker, etc. The only time I feel like I'm value betting some fish in stud is when some tight player completes with an obvious big pair in the whole then calls you down when it's obvious you must have an even bigger pair, but this situation comes up in HE often as well. Stud is a way better game when you're playing against really horrible players, but once people start getting better SH holdem is probably the way to go. If stud got more popular I think there could be some great SH stud games if they used a looser structure.