View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: OT: My mom wants me to be a poker pro

I'm a senior at UCF, graduating in August. I've been seriously considering taking a year off and playing poker. I visited my grandparents and spent 3 hours at Foxwoods up in CT. I made $64~ an hour at 2/4 limit and that was folding every single hand for the first hour because I got dreadful cards. You just start thinking to yourself...what job out of college would give you $64 an hour? And on top of that - would you love it? Even if you make it $50 an hour for 40 hrs/week it comes out to $100,000 a year full time. I'm not trying to toot my own horn but just bring up a point regarding people in my similar situation. My parents have warmed up to the idea but they were so concerned when I started playing. They thought I was going to become a gambling addict and get kicked out of school and all that craziness. There were some good points mentioned above about the lack of benefits from being a poker player. I'm just pretty much confused as lots of us fairly successful college poker players are. A lot of graduates take a year off to go skiing, travel the world and whatever, I guess you could consider this just something like that. Did anyone reading this thread actually do this? How did it turn out?