View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Re: NL Adventure - 2 hands

QTip -

Welcome to SSNL. I always enjoyed your posts in micros & SS, and I hope you stick around for a while.

Regarding aces. As someone else said, ignore the advice from your tablemates. I ve recently posted this elsewhere, but I'll say it again. A couple of non-2+2 friends of mine complain all the time that when they play thier aces the way I tell them too (aggressive preflop), they "never get paid." They say that these hands come around so rarely that they have to get max value from them when they do get them.

They are now both broke.

Or you can listen to Ciaffone & Ruben. They say (in thier book, which you should get) that aces are a fine hand. But that thier most important function in no-limit is to get all-in before the flop against a worse hand, such as pocket kings or any other hand your opponent will go to the felt with. This is distinctly different than thier function in limit: to get paid on every street. It's also a simplification, but then so it was for limit, too.

Regarding your flush draw. It seems to me tha tyour opponent made a substantial overbet on the flop, and you were squeezed. It's great that you looked left; I don't think people do that enough. But you were getting rotten odds and if another heart fell it would probably kill your action, making your implied odds suck, too. I fold the flop there. Find a better spot & better money.

Your preflop call was fine, considering your position. I might find a raise with that hand in that position, but it would be the exception. Not the rule.