View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Picking off continuation bets

i make this play with any 2.
There are 3 good ways to pick off continuation bets w/o any cards at all.
1. Bet into PF raiser (semip-effective)
2. Reraise flop (More Effective)
3. Call flop lead turn. (Most effective)

number 3 is espically profitable if a scare card comes.

Again, i don't need ANY cards to make these moves. They're where most of my profit comes from.

However in this hand you have the goods. BUT RERAISE PREFLOP. That makes this hand so much easier. Also-to the OP why are you so afraid of monsters in the closet? " He could have a set, or aa, or kk" They're not going to have these hands MOST of the time. And there's only one way to find out. RAISE

now to grunchcan.
When on a bluff-
most opponents won't fire the second barrel, which is why that move is profitable. Also, this a case where anti-position comes into play. I WANT to act first so can put the pressure on him to call my large pot-sized bet. This is where many fold. Yes donks will draw and call down but you have to be selective in how you use this move. Use it against people who will fold and are afraid of monsters. Bluffs fold here to your show of strength as do most mediocre hands.

Now, i am folding to a minraise when i am making this move or any sign that he has a good hand. He calls the turn? I check fold river barring improvement. He raises-i fold. But usually he's folding which makes this an +EV move.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like this line (calling the flop, leading the turn) maximizes our losses when we are behind, and minimizes our gains when we are ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is check raising better? Also, this precisely why i bet it on bluffs-it shows so much strength that many opponents fold. This statement proves why its a great bluff/semi-bluff to run.

However, when you've got the goods, i prefer a check-raise. Or just lead the damn flop and turn.