View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: How is our Portfolio?

[ QUOTE ]

i have one suggestion though, instead of being caught up in an index fund, which requires no work or insight, you can use the ira to make more intelligent bets. you are already doing that in your 401k, since you picked Intl (there's a lot of markets that are much better than US market right now).

for example, a position in an energy fund would have netted you very good returns YTD. right now, i am considering a position in technology, such as BUFTX or JAGTX (the only thing that's stopping me are my huge positions in tech stocks already).

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think either you or OP have any better insight into the best sectors of the future, than is already reflected in current market prices? Academic studies show that chasing "hot funds" or "hot sectors" almost always leads to lousy performance as they typically do much worse going forward.

In the case of OP's intl fund, it's a reasonable hedge against the falling dollar. The beauty of a passive portfolio built around index funds is that OP will never trail the markets. He won't beat them either, but not trailing means he'll beat 95% of actively managed funds over time.