View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Ability to Predict a Players Skill based on Intelligence.

Hi

I only post occasionaly outside the HUSH forum but this is the sort of stuff I find interesting so I thought I throw my oar in. I think there's another factor that hasn't been mentioned which is to do with belief.

I believe in rational analysis and that the laws of probability apply to poker. This seems obvious but I really believe it and always have, I'm sure all good poker players believe this as well.

The thing is that most people don't believe it, some may pay lipservice to it but deep down they believe in lucky seats or lucky people or astrology or fate or ...

In my experience there is litle if any correlation between intelligence and believing probability applies to poker. I know folk with good degress in maths/statistics who deep down believe that if they have been having a bad night then their aces are going to lose this time - and they change their behavior accordingly.

A dangerous related question is: is it rational to belief that probability applies to poker? - do we have a philosophy forum [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

We don't have SAT in the uk but I would claim to be well above average intelligence, highly educated and about average for 2+2. As well as having the right sort of beliefs, my next biggest advantage is recognising my limitations.

Thanks for listening