Thread: simple question
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: simple question

if you cant play the game correctly because of the stakes then you probably shouldnt play it at all. for starters, that mentioned vpip is way too low and people playing at higher stakes games (usually) arent idiots--they notice these things. so when that person you are describing is in, most everyone else is likely thinking about a reason to get out of the hand. but playing too tightly isnt even the biggest problem.

the reason why you are trying to devise a way of playing so tight is because you are going to be playing with scared money. you are not thinking about the bets in terms of small bets or big bets anymore, but now you are thinking, 'whoa, this is a sixty dollar bet i am putting in... oh [censored], the guy to my left raised, now its gonna be one-twenty and thats alot of money.' if you are thinking in these terms, get off that table... fast.

you have to push every single edge you have to the limits and if you cripple yourself by playing way too tight, you wont be able to do that. if you sit down at a $500 max no-limit buy-in and cant handle going all-in with what you assume is only a 2% edge against your opponent, you shouldnt be playing at a $500 max table. same holds true for high limit, i think.

--cheap