View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: player or plumber ???

hello ace,

first of all, thanks for the reply. much appreciated. your reasoning is sound, but a couple of questions :

you asked why i thought he'd fold top pair, and i didn't think he would, but in my mind it wasn't a certainty he had top pair. he reasonably could have raised 2 limpers pre flop with AJ, AQ or any pr. from JJ-88 where he had a gut shot draw, hit middle pr. or was value betting , but staring down the barrell of 2 overcards on the flop where the BB had called his raise after 2 limps implying strength/hi cards.

i reasoned (perhaps incorrectly) there were a significant number of his possible holdings that would have had a tough time calling a push. even if he did call, i had him nutted 39% of the time with the diamond draw and maybe had outs to my ace. i was also out of position and was more interested in ending the hand early, rather than watch it unfold. of course, i didn't want it to end early with me broke :-> :-> :->

however, i see the logic of your point that just calling allows me to escape with 60% of my stack if the turn is blank.

also, what hand strength would you need with an M of 12 and a Q of 0.9 in the big blind to re raise all in pre flop in that situation ? QQ or better ???

again... many thanks......