View Single Post
Old 09-04-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Loosing tons of cash is fun....please help me (longish)

Woah cool I got some responses
ok so to adress some of the stuff

1. yes I like playing poker. I just find the thought process involved and the competition to be very cool, but losing money isn't fun obviously.

2. The point isn't that I can't afford to loose 10 buy in's or that the money means a lot to me. It's more of a concept that I'm a 20 year old university kid who's surrounded by people that work 9-5 for three weeks and make the kind of money that I lost in one day.

3. It's not a matter of bad play, it's a matter of variance. Like I said most of the hands I lost were suckouts or races. When your an 80% favorite your still going to lose 20% of the time and you can't money in every tourney you play obviously (yes I expect to get flamed for stating the obvious)

4. I work the job because it's fun and it gives me a chance to get out and make some extra cash, plus I like chilling with the people I work with.

As for all this....

[ QUOTE ]

I think you need to socialize more. Your post looks more like a stream of self-spoken words rather than an actual thought-out question of any sort. This is the sort of ranting you should be doing to a friend.

I'm not complaning about it -- we've all been there at one time or another, and it's a tough place to be. I'm just saying that talking to a friend might be a better way of going about this, your problem has more to do with you than actual STT strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't need to socialize more...I play poker maybe 10-20 hours a week and I'm in class maybe 15. Other then that I just hang out with my friends and party. Yes this is not really a question post but more of discusion post and the reason I don't talk to my friends about it that much is because they can't understand everything behind the swings involved in poker. If I told them I had lost $1000 in a day then they would imediatly look at me like some degenerate gambler...which I might be haha. Although some of them kind of understand based on me explaining it to them most still don't get that poker is a game where you can make money but where you will lose at points. I figured people on here deal with this stuff on a daily basis

In general the reason I made the post was to find out ways people deal with downswings and just start up a discution which I guess I did. I'm not like depressed or anything. I haven't broken my computer, it's just always a bit disheartening to lose regardless of how it happens and I was just wondering what people thought and how they dealt with their downswings and how to come out of them. If you just ride it out or if its better to take a break and refresh yourself and your game.