View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Valued Posts and Posters

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Whatever the case may be, I am in a tough situation because I have a libertarian streak and don't like to be overly-paternalistic. It annoys me to have to lock threads and edit posts that aren't either (a) totally off-topic (b) spam. But, I've been charged with the task of keeping the poker strategy discussion to noise ratio at a good level and if I have to be more aggressive about that it would be bad for everybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an idea, put in the FAQ to put all reading the board questions in the beginners forum where they belong.

I think you are in very real danger of removing the little poker strategy content there really is on this forum if you get too aggressive, but that is just my opinion. On the front page right now we have the following posts:

This Post
How do I read the board?
What is the PLO8 winrate?
Whining about having to fold when being freerolled
How do I play a really big flop?
Is Eurobet any good for LO8?
Is Party getting bad for PLO8?
A potentially decent post about shorthanded play
How do I play 6789s preflop?
How do I count outs in certain situations?

I only see one of these posts as being possible to generate real poker strategy discussion, and the advice in there looks a little weak tight to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good points.

I'm sure that if they were to merge all the HE forums into one forum instead of dividing it up by betting structure and limits these same problems would arise.

Ideas I have:

Divide the forum into two forums. If there's a demand I don't think it's that big of a deal to do this. One for micro/small stakes, one for mid/high stakes.

Or, have a strict policy of people labeling their beginners posts in the topic as such or clearly labeling the limit and betting structure.

Overall, people should just try to be more tolerant. I proposed the digest thing last month. Someone else suggested a play a hand with the masters deal. That kind of stuff would be good.

But, whatever. In the end, these things have a life of their own. Use it as a tool to get better at poker or don't.

Also, remember, as Ray Zee noted in his book: for some reason new poker players are attracted to Omaha/8. Probably because it seems complicated and interesting. This is just a fact and even before the Omaha/8 forum was created and all the O8 posts were in "Other Poker" there has always been a lot of noobish questions.