View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Re: can i fold KK pre-flop ?

[ QUOTE ]
If AA is in the house, you become a significant dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, usually i'd try to put an assessment, or some kind of a number, instead of just saying IF, to see where I'm standing. Of course that IF AA is in the house you're way behind and in a -EV spot, but how many times you won't see AA here?

The lower the buy-in, more chances you are against a range of hands KK is very much ahead of. And that's why it becomes a very easy call (unless you are willing to give up HUGE +EV spots in order to "survive", which is generally a big mistake). However, as the competition becomes tougher, more chances you are facing AA here, obviously, but still, I feel I might see enough QQ-AK of hands by a marginal player UTG, to make it profitable, even in this level.

I might be wrong and it could be closer. If you can't see UTG limps-calls all-in with anything but AA, it's a clear fold of course - but i think that there's one a good point i like to remember: in the early levels of the game you'll see more people playing marginal hands badly - that's because, naturally, the proportion of good players/bad players early on, is different than it is in the mid-end stages. This is why folding KK PF in an SNG is usually considered a "crime": in early stages you just can't and don't want to put your opponent/s specifically on AA (the ONLY hand you're afraid of), and on later stages - the blinds are simply not small enough, in almost ANY situation, to fold KK, even against the tightest player in the world (unless in some very very rare bubble or bubble-like situations).