View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Push with nines? Interesting Sub-question

You might want to read the OP thoroughly before you comment. Although it doesn't matter much he had $16 in the pot because he raised in position after posting. And although I often criticize ace's play as too loose postflop, and I would not raise here, I did make some valid points regarding calling and aces did regarding raising, although a fold is right in *most* cases. I am tighter than aces ribbit, but the fact of the matter is that you are a weak-tight not tight-aggressive player and you never analyze the situation to see if other plays are warranted other than your usual "see if I have the nuts and can play" approach, preferably with other aggressive players behind you so you can checkraise.

Lots of players like the opponent here will bet into the preflop raiser with only 1 pair and an 8 out straight draw, and aces having position is what makes a play other than folding to be considered. Plus even the loosest players learn not to play hands with weak-tights like you if you never ever gamble with them a little. Of course I prefer to gamble in position and when I think hands other than sets are a distinct possibility.

I agree with you that some players here use the "player dependent" angle to justify playing too loose postflop many times, but if you can't learn to play the players and situations you can't win nearly as much as waiting for sets and 20 out draws postflop or getting it allin with aces preflop.