View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 07:42 AM

Default How much can I afford to pay in rent?

I just got my first job after graduating university, and I want to know what people with some experience think is a reasonable proportion of your income to spend on accomodations.

I make money playing *****, but am not counting on it in my budget. As such, I figure I have an after tax income of $2500/month. I want to invest about 1k of it, and spend the rest living the jetset lifestyle I so richly deserve.

My current plan is to rent for six months to a year, and then re-evaluate. I might be able to buy right away, but I only have a small potential downpayment. I also am uncertain about liking this job and wanting to own property in my city. Still, I would listen to a compelling argument for entering into indentured servitude.

I've looked at a few apartments, and they seem to be in the range of $700-$900. I know mathematically how to think about the time value of money, but in a practical sense how much of a difference does this variation in rent make? Will extra savings towards a downpayment make a significant difference in the sort of property I'd be able to buy? Will having insuite washer/dryer and a nicer kitchen really make me $100 happier/month? Any other advice?