View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Going to try playing live 1/2 for a living....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Swings in NL are less than in limit. And its not a discussion, its a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to elaborate. Or shall we drop the discussion because you say it's fact?

[/ QUOTE ]

I should just let the discussion drop, becuase its a fact. But I had forum veterans to help me, so Ill pass along what I was taught. In no limit, because you are able to change bet sizes you are able to get much more money in, when you hvae a bigger edge, and less money, when you think you dont (at least for a skilled player). Hence in NL you have smaller swings. There are other mathematical reasons, btu thats the gist of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. However, the converse is also true. Therefore, if you are playing correctly, you will get the correct price to draw at a wide variety of hands, and many times you will miss these draws. In a typical 1/2 game, there can be numerous callers to a $15 preflop raise. Suddenly, you will find yourself priced in on a flop as a 5/1 dog (for example). Over the long term, it is correct to draw at that hand, but you will still miss 4 out of 5 times. What happens on the turn when your oppenent pushes for the rest of yours and his stack and again, the price is too good to fold?

These hands occur routinely in the 1/2 game, and can cost you your whole stack. The same hands in limit do not cost you your whole stack.

The only way to avoid these types of hands are to fold all but the most premium of hands preflop, and if that is your strategy, there is no way you will see enough hands at B&M poker to win at this level. Becuase the real way to win at this level is to understand implied odds and drawing odds but those same odds dictate that you will take some swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I said only applies to long term winning players, obv losing players are going to lose faster at NL. You are assuming that you are getting odds, to put your whole stack in, in your example, you dont give numbers so I dont know whether the odds are there, but rarely do you get a 2:1 draw, that you can put your stack in and be right, ie you ARENT getting the right odds.