View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Can someone explain 2/5 limit hold\'em in Colorado for me???

A rasie can be anywhere from the blind amount (minimum 2, but players have the option of making the blind more- there is only one blind) to $5.

In my opinion, big cards go up in value because the $5 raise to $7 can crush the suited craps implied odds. I think suited connectors play worse, because: 1) the fairly standard $5 bet on the flop hurts your drawing odds and 2) there is no double bet on the turn and the river. (Pay attention to pot size). This structure does make small pairs playable from anywhere for $2 because of the high implied odds offered by the $5 bet on each subsuquent street.

Be wary of calling big raises, and get ready to get sucked out on. Because of the $5 dollar max bet in Colorado, everybody plays the same game so you may see one or two very good plays and some unbelievebly poor players at the same time. (The poor players are much more common)

The rake is steep, 10% taken from each $10 in the pot up to $4 ($3 +$1 jackpot), so stay away from marginal plays, and coupled with the miniscule blind, I don't think stealing is something to be considered. You make you money by having poor players call your $5 raises to $7 with suited garbage.

Harvey's spreads stud/8 and/or stud and has a no-limit tournament. The Station (a dump offers) 2-4 omaha/8. If going on a weekend, get ther ein the afternoon to avoid the lists and enjoy the juicy rotation of weekend gamblers trying their luck a different things. Smoking is permitted everywhere but Harvey's. If you stay late to play (especially weekends), leave before closing (about 1:45) because everybody gambles untill close and then you have a lot of people leaving at once down a small one lane canyon road. Not fun. :-(