View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Why the war on drugs will never be won

[ QUOTE ]
I can enjoy alcohol every weekend, have a good time, and no one gets hurt. I cant enjoy crystal meth on the weekends in between work, school, and my family. Period. Duh. Did you really need that explained or are you playing dumb to make some kind of point?

[/ QUOTE ]
And what about people who can't enjoy alcohol every weekend? Maybe their tolerance for alcohol is lower than yours and their risk of addiction is higher. Does that justify making alcohol illegal for everyone?

[ QUOTE ]
Here's another no brainer. If alcohol became legal to all ages, would underage drinking go up a lot or go down a lot? Big deal? Maybe, but we're not talking about alcohol, you want to legalize all drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]
No one here is advocating drugs be legal for all ages, so this is a strawman.

[ QUOTE ]
Its just difficult to argue with people who have never seen a meth or heroine addict and think its noble to fight for a cause to let people exercise their God given rights to ruin their lives and the lives of everyone that loves them and/or depends on them with these drugs - rather than do the sensible thing and try as best as we can as a society to prevent as many people as possible from being lured into these temptations by preemptively eliminating as much supply as possible and making people aware of their effects.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's no end to amount of ways in which we can ruin our lives. But the government doesn't legislate all of these away. Take gambling, something you should be familiar with if you're at this site. Gambling can be addictive to some people and they can ruin their lives and hurt their loved ones while gambling. We know this is the case, so why aren't you advocating that gambling be illegal? Maybe the solution should be let people do what they want and try to educate them as best we can about the consequences of their actions. This way, we allow people to keep their freedoms AND help protect them from making life-ruining mistakes.

[ QUOTE ]
Stories like this would be a dime a dozen if heroine and meth were cheap and legal.

[/ QUOTE ]
And with the amount of money the gov't is saving by not persuing the drug war, much of it could be spent to prevent such things.

You know, sex has ruined a few people's lives. You can get terrible STDs while trying to engage in sex and can spread them to others, thus ruining their lives. Maybe sex should be illegal? We can just switch to in-vitro fertilization to continue procreating. So why is it that we haven't outlawed sex yet?

To me, you just can't logically hold that some social activites that may cause harm to the consensual users should be illegal while others that also cause harm should not.