View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Just Keep Losing...

Your reading sounds good. Harrington I will help a lot for ring games even though its frame of reference is tournaments.

[ QUOTE ]
When I play 3 tables it can be hard to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until you know you're a good enough player to beat the game you're playing in, you have no business playing more than one table.

[ QUOTE ]
It just seems like in these situations when I win, I win small amounts often. But when I lose, I lose BIG, and usually takes my entire bankroll, and crippling me and making me wonder why I even play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still new to NLHE, but this was my experience too. I think you'd be wise to consider the small-stack strategy laid out in GSIH.

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?p...mp;hand=166029

[/ QUOTE ]

You got very lucky in this hand by hitting your two-outer to aces full. You misplayed it by not raising enough preflop. You want pocket sixes to make a mistake by calling your raise. In the event the sixes didn't make a mistake to call your raise, because they were getting 5:1 expressed odds from the pot, and the addition of implied odds meant they were correct to try to outdraw you. You later showed that you would in fact pay their set off at about 10:1 (see turn action), and who knows how much more on the river had you not filled up, so they had the implied odds to take their shot at flopping a set (about 7.5:1, but a little worse when considering that they need to flop a six without flopping an ace.)

On the flop you should bet more forcefully, even though in this case you're being slowplayed. The sixes are probably making a mistake to slowplay, because any heart except the five; or any deuce, four, or seven on the turn is going to make their life much difficult as well as yours. But the sixes get lucky and turn the top full house and second-nut hand.

On the turn you've got to start thinking you're behind to a three, pocket fives, pocket sixes, or something absurd like 7-4 or 4-2. (This doesn't sound like a game where you can rule out any preflop holding totally, especially since you didn't put in much of a raise.)

You got profoundly lucky on the river. But you should have raised more effectively preflop to make the sixes pay to draw out on you. If you want to raise to twice the blind, you need to move to limit poker.

(I know see that I'm mostly repeating pzhon's post -- sorry about that. But since pzhon knows his stuff, I'm encouraged to have repeated his post. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )