View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: What is it to have knowledge?

There is no information/knowledge that is absolute. If I look at my watch and it says it's 3:15, but some omnipotent observer "knows" that my watch loses X minutes for every Y unit of time, then my "knowledge" is not true in the absolute sense.

However, information and knowedge work just like poker. It's all probability and how we use the available information.

Yes my watch may be 4 minutes slow becuase it's old and I haven't checked it, but I am still not in serious trouble. I may be a few minutes late to a meeting, but I will never ever miss the entirety of the new episode of my favorite half hour TV show because of the misinformation of my watch. And once either of these events happen I will gather new information which will lead me to believe my old information was 4 minutes inacurate.

Likewise, I can be almost 100% sure that it is raining if I am standing outside and indeed feel what I have come to believe is rain falling on me from the sky. That near-perfect knowledge is much more useful to me than this morning's knowledge, when the wheatherman told me there was only a 75% chance of rain. It's all percentages, but you can still use what information you have to create the most accurate "knowledge" you can.

Knowledge is generally considered true because we do not attain knowledge until we receive information which leads us to believe to a high degree of certainty that something is true, and at that point we have "knowledge" of that subject.

Einstien and some of his buddies were driving in a car, when the driver stopped for a sheep standing in the middle of the road. "There's a sheep in the road!" exclaimed the surprised driver. "Yes," Albert replied. "From this angle there does indeed appear to be a sheep standing on the road in front of us."