View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: What to do with my life (need advice bad)?

[ QUOTE ]
astly, I LOVE POKER. I spend all day everyday thinking about poker. I can sit for 6 hour sessions and love every minute of it. I hate losing specifically because it makes me believe I couldn't go pro. If I had made $100,000 this year and lost $5k I wouldn't care. Specific bad beat hands don't bother me. It's when I think I can't do it that it bothers me, because I want to do it so bad. I study, I read, I'm trying so hard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, its pretty obvious to me. If poker makes you happy DO IT. I am still in college myself and concern myself too much sometimes with FORCING myself out to parties and my friends house to just get drunk when its NOT what makes me happy. If poker makes you happy who gives a sh*t what anyone else thinks.... and it seems clearly evident it does. Peopels interests change. If some day down the line you got sick of poker, then so be it, stop playing. you sound like me... ive had PLENTY of interests that i spend ALOT of time in because THAT's what makes me happy at the time. Video games, poker, partying, drinking, smoking weed, picking up chicks, basketball, etc... ive spent massive amounts of times in all of this and just because someone else or society may tell you that one is more socially acceptable or "cool" than another means jack sh*t... do what ever YOU want to. If I spent 10 hours a day partying and picking up chicks certain people would think im cool.. but if i spent that same 10 hours playing a video game i'd be considered a dork, bottom line is.. who gives a sh*t.. all that matters is what makes you happy.

[ QUOTE ]
whether or not poker is full-time or part-time you should strive to enjoy life in as many non-poker ways as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Says who? Once again people seem to have this notion that theres a certain way everyone should be living their lives... just because you find value in doing a plethora of other activities, does that mean theres something wrong for him if he finds his enjoyment from poker? I'll tell you right now, if me sitting in my room staring at the walls made me extremely happy i'd do it every day and die happier than 99% of other people who lived their lives.

[ QUOTE ]
I get really into things, especially games. I don't think it's just poker. I could say the same thing about a videogames or a sport. The thing is, I could do certain things all day. I like to get really good at them, and I love every minute of it. Getting paid to play poker is kinduv like getting paid to play chess.

As far as doing it all day, I don't understand it. I've read alot that people that play poker don't go to the gym or have a lot of friends. This seems entirely counter-intuitive. Right now I'm out of shape and not very social BECAUSE I work. I don't have the time or energy to do anything else. I don't like my co-workers.

If I was playing poker 30-40 hours a week, I'd be able to do all those things. I'd have the energy to start playing sports again or try to meet a girl. At the end of the day, its just money.

[/ QUOTE ]
You seem to already know what you want, but theres something stopping you from going after it. I know what it is. It's the whole idea of playing professional poker and not having a job that's been ingrained into the back of your head as being socially unacceptable, but you should really ask yourself what would you truly enjoy doing with your life because it's entirely up to you. You seem intelligent enough to know the consequences of sitting in your room 20 hours a day and playing so I feel you'd have the right mindset for what you want to do to make you happy.. nobody else knows but you.