View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: The biggest leak ?

[ QUOTE ]

I am guilty of this. Online when multi-tabling it is easy to chase a bad draw or just call when I should be raising. Live I have more time between actions and play them better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hidden outs, redraws, implied odds, equity, etc... All of these things are taken for granted by many people as they strive to figure out whether they should fold AA on the turn. That's a problem.

[ QUOTE ]

Your post clears up the confusion as to which leak could be the largest and the reasoning as to why. Now lets switch to methods of identifing if we have these leaks in our own games.

1. Folding the best hand on the river when the pot is big.

Ed harps on this it must be important. Worst part is you will never know when you do it. PT has the stats - Won$wsf, Won$atSD, and Went toSD%. Will these numbers show this leak? Is there anouther way to spot it? Or do we call 99% of the time when facing one bet on the river and stop the leak for sure? Which is what I do and I have won some crazy hands doing it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Those crazy hands you won are the reason it's profitable. This could definitely be a big leak, but I think most here know enough not to make the mistake. And, all it takes is 1 or 2 times of you folding in a big pot where you'd win with something like 2nd pair to set you straight (or at least it should). If it's getting capped on the river and all you have is king high - well that's a different story.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Slowplaying to often or at the wrong times.

I have no idea how to spot this leak in your own game. Would it show up in your postflop AF in the flop number? I never slowplay at low limits unless I playing against friends and want to have fun messing with their heads. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

In the average micro game I always bet a good hand. I have bet/raised a flopped boat, nut flush, even quads the one time it happened. The players don't think what I could have but still call as always. If you don't bet they will check it though and money is lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think it's pretty rare to need to slowplay in micro limits. People are so willing to pay off at this level that you just push it every chance you get. Most seem to agree that shorthanded against good opponents might be the exception.

[ QUOTE ]

3. Misplaying overcards.

This one is hard to spot as Im told these types of hands have the highest variance. So you may be a net loser with several of these hands for long periods of time, even when playing them correctly. And as you pointed out these cards are to good and not costly enough to be a players biggest leak.

4. Going too far with marginal hands when the pot is small.

How do we spot this leak in our games? I don't know, and have a feeling this is my biggest leak. If the pot is small it usually means there are not many players in the hand. If they check to me I am betting to try and win the hand. This is dumb and I do it like a reflex even when I hold nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not necessarily dumb. Maybe if you do it every time it is. I think properly estimating you chances and odds helps a lot here. The math generally tells you when you have a big or small pot. This is another reason I put playing draws as the biggest leak.

[ QUOTE ]

5. Failing to properly defend your hand with aggressive play when the pot is big.

This one is going to be hard to spot. I don't even understand it fully. I think it is about check/raising and waiting till the turn to try and chase people out of the hand. Sometimes flop betting/raising can force the other players to call to the river? You said it best

[ QUOTE ]
Not protecting hands in big pots. I think this is the most OBVIOUS difficult situation for us. It is a tricky subject with a lot of subtlety and it comes up quite often.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone has ideas how to spot and fix this leak please share. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Math and properly counting your outs helps again here. I'm still working on this part of my game. It can get tricky and is very situational I think.

[ QUOTE ]

6. Misplaying draws

How many post have we seen about pot odds, the math of holdem, the 2/4 rule, and the rule of 13? Ed says memorize the odds. This is to simple and most people are to lazy to do it. This is my favorite chart Thank you Lost Wages. So how do we spot if this leak is fixed? Post hands here I guess. I have tried to learn the odds but I still make huge errors. I grasp for reasons to continue to draw like implied odds which I don't fully understand.

Somethings have become clear. I have leaks, lots of them and most are big! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think a lot of odds are easy to count. If you have a flush draw on a non paired board, or have a flush draw and overs, it's easy to know what to do most of the time. It's the marginal situations when you have hidden outs or partial outs and the pots odds are close that worry me. Just look at all of the posts where people don't count all of their outs or implied odds and end up folding (sometimes when they should even raise). To a lesser extent you see some people finding excuses to call and fight for smaller pots when the math just doesn't justify it. That's what I was referring to.